Wednesday, October 22

We’re gonna have a really big show!

A want ad from 1945 in the Dallas Morning News drew Karla’s dad to the Dallas Symphony Orchestra. He was fresh out of the Army Air Forces Band, the Second World War had ended, and it was time to pursue his passion, music. By the time he left, he was the orchestra’s librarian, its first horn, and had an offer from the Dallas school system to be its music education chief.

This picture is part of a fast-moving slide show we are putting together for presentation on November 1 in honor of Karla’s mom, Adeline. So far we have selected well over 200 pictures, several pieces of music, and a passionate reading by Karla of a letter from Camilla, her older sister, thanking her parents for immersing her in an honorable belief system.

It is a project I am involved in clear up to my earlobes. Perhaps to my scalp, whether there’s hair there or not. It is a matter of learning to use programs that I have never even opened on the computer. Editing music, scanning and tweaking pictures, some from almost a century ago, and trying to put things in a sensible order to present them to the viewers. It is a real challenge to produce an honest portrayal of someone’s life when that person isn’t at your side saying, “Well, it wasn’t really that way, but go ahead anyway; it makes a good story.”

The 275 people signed up to be at the memorial (so far) are in for a treat.

3 comments:

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

Wow - that sounds fabulous. Can I sign up for the memorial? Where is the link, please?

Tom Hurley said...

At about halfway through the presentation, I am approaching a gigabyte, so there won’t be room for me to post it on the Internet. However, if I can make it into a movie (and keep the quality) I’ll be glad to send you a copy on disc.

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

Thank you very much. I would appreciate that. I can make sure Mom sees it too that way. She still has dial-up so wouldn't have had a hope of viewing it even if it were on the Internet.