Friday, August 14

My, how things change…



Above is the main part of the page I ran across on a site called Concierge.com. To the left is an enlarged portion of the above ad. In the middle of the list of areas of California in which you are likely to find world-class hotel accommodations is a place that used to be a lumber mill town and had a grocery store, a feed store, a hardware store, a couple of gas stations and no traffic lights when I first moved into the area half a century ago. Now it has five intersections with traffic lights.

My, how things change with time.

2 comments:

Pete S. said...

A few years ago Ana and I passed through Oakhurst. I could barely recognize it. Driving from there to Fresno, I was shocked to see a traffic light on highway 41 in what used to be the middle of nowhere.

Tom Hurley said...

Leaving Yosemite on Highway 41, you will now encounter two signals in Oakhurst, another in Coarsegold, and four more as you leave the foothills. Three more will greet you till you reach Fresno’s city limit, now at the San Joaquin River.

When you enter Fresno, there are no more traffic signals; they’re all stoplights.