Sunday, August 23

Rain? In August?

Just about the last thing you need in summertime in the foothills of Central California is a rain gauge. So my old (at least 25 years) weather beaten, leaky, worn out rain gauge with a bullet hole in it was taken down a few weeks ago and retired. The new gauge given to me by neighbor Bill hasn’t been installed because I want to move the post on which it will be mounted away from the little olive tree next to it which grew into a huge rain-shadowing monster and has been probably giving me incorrect rain readings ever since as a result of its being there. So I haven’t a clue as to how much rain fell last night and early this morning. The bedrock mortar holes above offer a clue; maybe we got a small part of an inch or even a few millimeters. Hard to say.

No comments: