Monday, December 1

Bizzy Beez

Passing one of our loquat trees, I was attracted to all the activity centering on the blossoms. There were tiny wasps all the way to huge bumblebees swarming all over them. But most interesting to me was the number of plain old honeybees, some with pollen on their legs. Pollen provides them with protein, and the nectar is their carbo load.

Another thing I noticed is that their only source of food on this December first is plants that aren’t indigenous to the area.

Everything they were depending on was planted by and kept alive by humans.

So we can’t be all that bad, eh? By the way, I waited at the lone orange blossom above, camera aimed and ready to fire when a bee, wasp, or even hummingbird (they’re busy here too) came along. My arms got sore. I could never be one of those infinitely patient wildlife photographers who wait in a cold cramped bird blind for something interesting to happen. But the lighting on this blossom merited a picture by itself.

No comments: