Monday, June 29

HOT!


Before taking this picture, there were four birds lined up on the half-barrel fountain, trying to cool off. By the time I had the camera ready, two took off. I went outside to check the thermometer on the north side of the house. When I opened the door, about thirty birds flew off from their perch on the ground where it was damp. It seems the critters are really feeling this heat wave. The temperature was 106° (41°C) and is supposedly going higher tomorrow. Maybe I should leave the camera near the window so I can catch the little birdies swimming in the fountain.

Saturday morning I headed for the corral to feed a couple of our old horses. As I passed the barn, the sun had just come up and was sending its warming rays through the cool morning air. A very young ground squirrel was slowly getting ready to lie down and soak up some rays. I watched it, then became concerned since it was moving so slowly and closed its eyes and looked like it was sick. I picked up a small twig and poked its belly. Boom! Alive! It looked at me as if I were the mean kid on the block and marched in a huff back to its burrow where it stopped, turned, and gave me a look like I didn’t think a small squirrel could give a look. I’d better watch my step!

3 comments:

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

Ha ha! You mean kid.

The weather over here is cool enough for us to wear sweaters and have the heater on. Visiting Mom and Linda asked for an extra doona last night, even. And that was after I gave them slipper socks to wear, too.

The dog hunts out any rays of sun and the cats sleep curled around each other in their bed most of the day. Poke them with a stick and they don't do much of anything except curl tighter.

Pat said...

Hi Susan. What's a doona? I talked to Lee's sister yesterday and she said it was 107 in Fresno. We are enjoying nice cool weather down here. It's 9:30 am and the temp. is 67 F. Poor birds. Poor Tom---

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

Hi Aunt Pat. It's a thick quilt stuffed with down or some other warm material that isn't quite as warm as down :)

Wow! 107 is pretty hot. It has been warm here today. It got to 78F (26C). The last few weeks it has been around 69F in the day (21C) and 51F (11C) at night or so. That's cool to us, especially as it has been raining. It
s certainly nowhere near freezing though.

Poor Tom and poor birds - I agree.