Sunday, June 7

Wow, what a word

As I was reading a news article about blogging, a word popped out that got me thinking: “How many words have a double double-you in them?” Yes, “ww” appears in a word. It’s a word borrowed from another language to be sure, but not too obscure and it gets used in English enough to be commonly known. When you find out what the word is after struggling mightily for several days, you’ll slap your forehead with an open palm Italian-style and say, “D’oh!”

Now, step away from your computer. I don’t want any techno-search laziness to guide your hunt for the word. Use your head. After all, Rome wasn’t discovered in a day.

(Huh?)

8 comments:

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

Aww! That's too hard! :lol:

Yes, I know 'aww' probably isn't in the dictionary, but as I am not allowed to look, that's the best I can do so early in the morning....

Tom Hurley said...

You’re right, Susan. Aww doesn’t cut it. And neither does the stuttering dog’s “W-woof!”

Praying Horse said...

Google is being very persnickety and not allowing me to post my comment. Hopefully this isn't a triple post. grrr.

Powwow

Tom Hurley said...

Pow! Wow! What a smart horse!

Praying Horse said...

An update - a colleague of mine, who also loves words, came up with another one. In subsequent research, we've seen it spelled with a space in between the two instances of "w" as well as with a dash, so perhaps it's not a perfect example.

Glowworm (song commences)

Tom Hurley said...

“Glow little glowworm
Glimmer, glimmer…”

How many people nowadays know that song?

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

I do! I do!

Tom Hurley said...

Susan! Are you showing your age, or are you simply a diligent popular music historian?