Thursday, July 16

Begging for captions…

Even with the pieces of masking tape still stuck to it, this 1955 picture, a print from a Kodachrome transparency, just screams for captions. It appeared in an ad and depicts two kids enjoying bread that has been slathered with Nucoa Margarine. Each has two slices of extremely white bread that have been liberally coated with trans fats and lovingly wrapped in wax (waxed) paper. (I had to look up wax vs. waxed to make sure. Preferred is wax paper, and it seems to have been invented by Thomas Edison or one of his minions, although its use can be traced to medieval times before patents were invented.)

The captions:
He: I hope these ghastly trans fats and nutrition-free slices don’t kill me before I’m old enough to read the blog this picture inspires.
She: No kidding. My mom uses butter which is the real killer. When you weren’t looking I switched my bread for yours.

He: When the photographer’s done, my mom’s using my modeling fee to get my stomach pumped so when I grow up I’m still really good-looking.
She: My mom’s investing my fee in Apple stock so I can get a triple bypass when I’m forty.

He: That stupid blue ribbon in your hair really clashes with your red dress.
She: This is Thursday and your mom dressed you in yellow. You must be gay.

Photo credit: Click here

No comments: