Wednesday, September 30

Possum apple season

Every year about this time our 100 or so feral persimmon trees produce thousands of little golden orbs. Orange sugarballs they should be called since they’re amazingly sweet. When I go over to the corral to feed the horses, I can usually find at least one of these gems on the ground. A quick rinse at the teacup spring and chomp chomp it’s down the gullet. If I’m lucky, there will be another on the ground on the way back from feeding.

Here is one of them, mere seconds before I ate it. (Shown on an ancient Peruvian vase for scale)

1 comment:

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

Up till now I thought all you had at your place was sour little oranges that you made into marmalade. I'm glad your diet is somewhat varied.

Colin would love these little treasures. He's a persimmon man.