Monday, December 28

Panamint Valley wormhole

Boy I tell ya, the past few days have brought so much dèjá vu it feels like I’ve been here before! Like this picture of the road across Panamint Valley. Seems that when I was living on Alderan, before it blew up, there was a similar road and at the end of it was the entrance to a wormhole that skips all the drudgery of travel through space and time. I told Karla and the cat to hold on and got the truck up to near-light-speed (something you can do only with a Dodge truck with a Cummins turbocharged diesel, in case you’re wondering). I hoped we would come out near Fresno. I was wrong. We popped out right north of Lima, Peru! Dang! This was going to make the trip home a real bummer, especially since the diesel fuel sold in South America is so crummy.

So to save time, I put the truck in Warp Reverse, re-entered the wormhole backwards (highly not recommended!) and popped out about twenty miles before our entry point. We re-drove the whole entry to Panamint Valley, and I simply refused to listen to the cat’s yowling about my incompetence. Karla, wisely, kept her mouth shut until we got to the Tehachapi snow-removal fans. Then she gently suggested that I was an idiot. We celebrated our return to the United States at a nearby Denny’s.

What a trip.

1 comment:

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

Yes, I must agree with Karla and the cat. But it sounded like a fun trip and that made me smile this morning.