Sunday, September 28

Squat, you horses!

I can’t remember what the occasion was, but a few years back we all had to leave the foothill ranch and wouldn’t be returning for several days. The horses were depending on us for some of their feed, so we tossed out several bales of hay, only loosely broken apart. When we returned from our trip I was surprised to see that probably one-third of the hay was still uneaten. When I examined the remaining hay, I saw that it was wet. It hadn’t rained, so I looked closer. The hay had been peed on by the horses!

When horses pee, they spread all their legs as far and wide apart as possible so they don’t splash all over themselves. Hilary explained to me that if they pee on a nice fluffy pile of hay, there’s no splash. Smart! Dumb!

We should train them to squat.

No comments: