Friday, February 13

Glad I’m not a bird

When the snowfall let up a bit, I went out to the bird feeder only to see that it had been emptied. I guess the hordes of avians anticipated the oncoming storm and ate every last seed. We are short of bird food right now, and I received a phone call from a neighbor warning about venturing out onto the county roads. They don’t get plowed; that’s reserved for state roads. People were skidding off into the gutters all over the place, and it’s a mess, so there won’t be a trip to the bird seed emporium today. I managed to scrounge up some moth-eaten black sunflower seeds and tossed a few scoops onto the ground. Moments later, the winged hordes returned, chirping and chattering and fighting, as birds do. I guess that’s how they express happiness.

No comments: