Tuesday, November 10

A chair is reborn (I hope)

The closer I looked, the more daunting the task seemed to become. Not only was the fabric shot, which was very obvious even at a glance, and the foam cushion totally rotten, but for some odd reason there was a lot of rust. The chair has never been exposed to the elements, so it simply must have gotten nostalgic for its freezing-rain home in Denmark and pulled in some moisture. As the hundreds of upholstery staples were pulled, some were so rusty they broke and had to be removed a piece at a time with pliers.

There is plastic trim that encircles both the seat and backrest, and it’s still in good condition. Now comes the search for appropriate foam for the seat. It has to be firm yet not harsh to sit on. The fabric is already decided on, and is whimsical compared to the original very conservative gray. If I can pull this off, I will have a very comfortable little secretary chair, one that was useful for about five years when we bought it new in Hollywood.

2 comments:

Pete S. said...

For seat foam, you might try the latex foam used in fine bed mattresses.

I recently got a latex foam mattress. It's very comfortable. It's advertised as much longer-lasting than coil spring mattresses.

I think it's ozone that breaks down foam rubber. You probably don't have much ozone where you are. Unless you have lots of photocopy machines.

Tom Hurley said...

The only ozone producer I have is an electric drill with badly worn brushes. So after using it, I just spray the area with a little Freon.