Saturday, November 7

Comin’ down the home stretch…

Still a bit wet, the final finish is looking good so far. Sometimes when it completely dries, dull areas appear. I don’t know what causes that, so I carefully “sand” them out with superfine steel wool, then re-do the entire top again.

The color is unbelievably rich. It’s hard to remember the rough nasty old wood I started with. There are some lumpy areas where the wood simply refused to lay down and die, no matter how much sanding, gluing and cajoling I applied. They give the top character. (Isn’t that the perfect justification for sloppy workmanship?)

I am going to make new legs. The sapling wood has far too much “figuring” and is very distracting to the final piece. There is one more piece of old red fir up there leaning on the side of the building that I will try to use if it isn’t too split and ragged. Otherwise, it’s off to the fine woods store.

1 comment:

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

It really does look wonderful. I'm glad you didn't let that bubbling defeat you.