Thursday, April 29

A horse with no name

The horse that Luke brought home a few days ago is still without a name, but doesn’t seem to mind. As I expected my suggestion, Fang, has already been rejected by all. Maybe I can use it on a fish or something. It’s such a shame to waste a good name.

No Name has an interesting feature I’m sure you’ve already noticed. A partially-blue eye makes him unique in our herd of 41 horses and mules. How about calling him Bluey? Blooey? I know! BlueFang! He’s a roan. How about RoanFang? FangRoan. RoanFangBluey. Whatever.

Help me here.

Photos: Hilary Hurley Painter

6 comments:

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

In Australia we call redheads Bluey. I don't know if this horse would qualify for the name, beautiful eye aside (well, I can only see one of his eyes so maybe there aren't two of them). Maybe you should try something like 'Red'.

The only other horse name I know is Flicka. I hope that helps.

Tom Hurley said...

The other eye is purple with pink polka dots.

Besides Flicka, I've heard of Trigger (Roy Rogers' horse) and Silver (Lone Ranger). Topper rode with Hopalong Cassidy. Flicka is a girl horse, no? For a boy, it could Flicko or FlickFang perhaps.

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

Hey you reminded me I HAD heard of those other horse names, Trigger and Silver. And you are right, Flicka is a girl's name. I'm not sure your horse looks like a Flicko or a Flickfang.

he Spanish word for Fang is Colmillo. I like that better.

Now I wanna see the eye with purple and pink polka dots.

Pete S. said...

I like BlueFang, but don't name it Bluetooth©® unless you want to get sued.

Tom Hurley said...

Bluetooth in Spanish is Diente Azul. Blue Fang is Colmillo Azul. Neither is covered with any © or ® or ™. Besides, this is a private horse, not involved in commercial use. So the bluetooth inference is exempted legally, I think.

Unknown said...

The horse's eye looks like a quarter moon from a distance - how about Luna?

Karen Nooney