Tuesday, April 6

Windows as weapons

Twice Three times today a hawk has chased its prey toward windows in the house, making for a lot of noise and hawk chow. At 12:40 this afternoon both Karla and I were startled by an especially loud bang as the quail shown above collided with the “greenhouse” window above the three-half-barrel fountain, then fell into the water. The hawk was pulling the quail out of the water as I opened the door and frightened it away. He dropped the bird. Not even a half-hour later, another window claimed another bird’s life. A busy hawk, for sure.

Update—As I write this I heard yet another bird strike. Good grief! We’re going to have a very fat hawk, or a nest-full of well-fed hawk babies.

2 comments:

Pete S. said...

CollidEscape is supposed to keep birds from hitting windows: http://www.flap.org/new/film.htm

Tom Hurley said...

Pete S.: I checked the site and saw that the film would make the windows look like those city buses plastered with ads, including on the windows. I’ll have to find something else. Thanks anyway!