Monday, May 10

Being ethical


According to the above pie chart, I see that much of the traffic to my blog is direct, meaning people make a conscious connection, curious to know what emanates from a slowly rotting mind. Slightly more of the traffic is referred from other sites, whatever that means. Roughly one in ten people come via search engines, such as Google or Yahoo! or Bing. The search engine traffic could easily be increased if I used blog titles like Free Gold! or Earn Millions By Being a Couch Potato. How about Lose Weight Eating Nothing But Potato Chips. Or Beer Makes You Slim and Sober. Or any title having the word Sex in it.

Since Day One I opted for the Google listing of ads that are connected to the content of the blog entries. For example if I write about my old 1972 Porsche, they plug in ads for car-related stuff. If I talk about dogs, they show ads for dog food or grooming or whatever their dog-type advertisers are pitching. If one of my readers clicks on an ad, I get paid a pittance by Google, 10¢ or so. That has yet to happen.

If, however, I blog about mesothelioma and readers click on the ads, I could get BIG bucks from the lawyers lining their pockets with settlements from the asbestos industry. Just like the lawyers handling the tobacco settlements kept the yacht-building industry afloat (pun intended), the lung cancer asbestos guys are paying a lot for clicks on their ads.

Would I stoop to the level of manipulating the honest and ethical behavior expected by Google for its providing free access to the world-wide public via Blogger? Of course not!

(MESOTHELIOMA, LUNG CANCER, ASBESTOS, LAWSUITS, DEATH BROUGHT ON BY RAPACIOUS UNETHICAL CORPORATE INDUSTRIAL BEHAVIOR, FILTHY CAPITALIST THIEVES, GLOBALIST SLAVE-EXPLOITING DESTROYERS OF HUMAN SPIRIT, ENVIRONMENTAL DISASTER-PRODUCING GHASTLY SATANIC GREEDY HIDEOUS PUTRID IRREDEEMABLY AWFUL … etcetera)

3 comments:

Garnet said...

Random traffic. There should be a piece of the pie called Random Traffic. And I want to eat that piece. Of pie. 'Cause it's mine. 'Cause I'm random. Funny blog.

Tom Hurley said...

Thanks. Random sounds good. Like impulsive or daring or simply relying on dumb luck. The luck of the draw.

Guava said...

oh interesting!!