Thursday, May 13

Get rich quick, or blog for free

A couple of days ago I blogged about the way Google searches blogs for keywords they use to present relevant ads to accompany the blog. My example about mesothelioma actually brought on two meso ads and one about asbestos. When the article I wrote about frogs appeared mentioning their problems with a fungus that kills them, a Google ad about mold appeared. If my readers were to click on the mesothelioma ads, I would be enriched beyond my wildest imaginings, financed by evil greedy lawyers, but I would never be so crass as to ask readers to do so. As for the mold ads, they’re about mold in structures, not on frogs or bats. Google hates when bloggers ask people to click on ads, so I would never do that. If I did, I could lose my privilege to use Blogspot for free. I would have to move to a blog provider that charges money, like TypePad. Then I would have to recruit all my readers to switch, but if Blogger cut me off, I wouldn’t be able to find the regular readers. I’m stuck between Iraq and a hard place. Just sayin’.

9 comments:

Agneta and David said...

The article about the frogs was an interesting read.

Don't mess with Google. I do enjoy your blogs. You do have a rotting mind. Be thankful its a slowly rotting mind.

Pete S. said...

I have not seen any ads on this blog since the early days. I thought you had discontinued the ads and were paying for ad-free service from Blogger. What gives? Do other people see ads here?

Praying Horse said...

I just think it's a darn shame that you don't get paid every time I feed your fish. I do that all the time. They're hungry. I can relate to that.

Re: gophers and straw bales. We are hoping that the (satisfaction guaranteed, ha ha) wire mesh we placed underneath keep them dang critters out.

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

Google ads don't show up in Firefox, which is the browser I use the most. They do show up if I use IE. I'm not sure about other browsers and Google ad visibility.

Tom Hurley said...

Susan: I write the blog in Firefox. The ads are at the bottom of the right column.

Pete S: The ads are at the bottom of the right column.

Praying Horse: Google provides the fish food, so I think it's rude to charge them for the feeding.

David: The rotting is speeding up a little, but thanks anyway.

Pete S. said...

I got the ads to appear in Firefox by (temporarily) allowing doubleclick.net to run scripts in the browser. Then I turned it back off as a safety measure. (On-off control provided by the NoScript extension to Firefox).

Tom Hurley said...

Pete S.: Wow! Firefox taking control! Wait till Google, Master of the Advertising Universe, hears about this!

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

I promise I am not lying to you. I cannot see the ads in Firefox, even when I allow doubleclick.net to run the scripts on the page.

And the ads should be placed at the top of the blog for maximum exposure.

PS: I do get paid for running ads on my site most months now at papercraftcentral.com

Tom Hurley said...

Susan: I don't know how there can be so many ways to configure Firefox. Maybe ads meant to be shown in the US don't play in Oz.