Saturday, January 3

Deep thoughts

Where do I start?

At first I didn’t realize, when I picked up our one-cup cup to measure out popcorn kernels, that I was holding an enigma in my hands. (By the way, is popcorn called “pop-maize” in the rest of the world?)

Then suddenly it hit me—Never once had I thought about who designed these iconic culinary necessities. Who picked out their shape? The sides of the cups shown slope outward at exactly 7.7° from the vertical. Who chose that angle? Why are the sides angled? Why aren’t they straight up and down like a laboratory flask? Wouldn’t that be simpler? The markings must be tweaked slightly as they go up; they get closer as they rise from the bottom. It would be so much simpler to double the distance per cup or ounce or milliliter as you rise rather than moving them ever so slightly closer as they go up the sides. Why are the markings red? Is the design and shape copyrighted or patented, or am I holding a piece of public domain design in my quivering hands?

I am so glad I became aware of all these unanswered questions when I wasn’t actually cooking. I coulda burned something, or used salt when I wanted sugar or water instead of milk. Disaster averted! What serendipitous timing! (The popcorn was delicious.)

Tomorrow: More mystery!

No comments: