Saturday, June 28

Birdbrains

This poor sunflower plant has had all its leaves stripped down to their vascular bundles (or whatever you call the veins). Not by grasshoppers; that was so 2007. No, I watched the culprits flocking all over the plant, eating till their little tummies bulged. They were tiny birds with greenish-yellow foliage, eating all the flower’s plumage (or whatever you call feathers and leaves). They seem fearless unless I am wearing a camera around my neck; that strikes fear into their little birdbrained hearts so I don’t have direct evidence of their crimes against sunflowers.

A nearby sunflower remains unscathed. Maybe the little birds were going after insects on the plant, and just happened to like a little salad with their meat. And scathed the poor thing to death.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know!! I know!! The birds are finches, probably the Lesser Goldfinch. They seem to love sunflowers and related plants. I have watched them work on some of mine but never do such a complete skeleton job. Of course I never had a flock of them around--just Mom and Pop and maybe a couple of kids. Birds need their greens, right? Any insects are a bonus. They also peel back the seedcovers of flowers such as Clarkia unguiculata, but they never eat all the seeds.

Tom Hurley said...

That’s all fine and good. But in the meantime, what am I to do? Buy more expensive sunflower seeds for these voracious marauders? I thought growing fresh stuff for them without pesticides, using delicious well water and totally organic fertilizer (dead cats) would be the perfect expression of a balanced earth-friendly get-along-with-nature-as-God-intended philosophy. But they’re throwing me off my game.