Wednesday, June 25

Laughter’s reward

Last Sunday I conducted a tour of our hydroelectric plant at the ranch. Many of the guests were from Hawaii, a state that pays through the nose for electricity. (Come to think of it, maybe that’s why their noses glowed and has nothing to do with last night’s bacchanalian orgy.) As we approached the beautiful rock building that contains the generator, I recalled a story my mother told about a group of teachers that toured a hydroelectric dam long ago. One had asked what they did with the water after all the electricity had been taken out.

As soon as all fifteen or so guests gathered at the entrance to the building, I directed their attention to the outlet of the tailrace where water shot out with great force. It was brilliant white and full of vitality and roaringness. I said, “First I want to direct your attention to what water looks like after all the electricity has been removed.”

The reward of laughter makes life worthwhile.

No comments: