Sunday, June 29

Quiet time

This morning the satellite link went kaput. Signal strength on the receive side dropped to 15 out of a possible 100. I called HughesNet and managed to get through the menus, but then I had to sit there and listen to some ghastly, distorted sound quality music and drum my fingers on the table till I said, “You know, I think I can do without the Internet for maybe a few months” and hung up.

I fired up the old dial-up modem and can creep by at a pace that makes snail mail look pretty swift. I don’t know if I’ll pursue getting the satellite back. I’ll just call and cancel the service. That’ll get their attention.

Meanwhile, the blog could be neglected because pictures take a long time to upload by modem.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't you have a satellite subscription at each of three locations? How is the signal strength at the other two locations? I wonder if a satellite went off line and you're only getting fringe service from the next satellite over.

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

I've just caught up on all the blog entries I missed while I was offline. I sure hope you have survived all the fires, gotten the Pelton back in order, worked out how to save your sunflower leaves and are feeling just fine!

I remember a forest fire or two that threatened grandpa and grandma's house when I was a kid. I remember the Chinchilla house being burned down. You have reminded me that Mom's family lost their home twice to fires when she was a kid. Aunt Pat, I hadn't realised there was a close-call fire during your childhood too. I hope all those ginormous choppers do the trick and stop the spread of the current fires to the ranch.

We're still working out a few bugs in our complicated internet/phone/laptop/ connections so I am not sure how often I will be online till the bugs are gone. We've almost unpacked and are feeling more 'at home' in our new home though.

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, Susan!

Tom Hurley said...

Susan, to quote you, “We're still working out a few bugs in our complicated internet/phone/laptop/ connections…” If you had Macs, the above would be SO unnecessary. We replaced a Windoze computer at Florence Lake after many attempts to integrate it into our network and used a 6-year-old Mac in its place. The connection to the network took place instantly. It simply worked. Time for Australia to evict Mr. Gates and his dopey old-fashioned creaky built-on-a-foundation-of-wet-sand operating system.

Other than that, welcome back!

Tom Hurley said...

Pete, it turns out the satellite went kaput. After four days, HughesNet finally fessed up and said they’re sorry. I’m sure their crack team of geeks are on it full time, trying to restore service to their valuable customers. Yawn.