Tuesday, October 6

Legs!

Several years ago I wandered around on the “island” at the high ranch and cut some sapling lodgepole pine trees. They literally grow like weeds there, so cutting 20 or so was hardly noticeable. I stripped off the bark while still green, which is the easiest time to do a job that, if done later, would be very difficult. They have been stood against the wall in our storage building in the foothills ever since, and are as dry as they will ever be.

I thought they would look good raw as legs on my new table, but decided that would be close to corny. Lathe time. I hadn’t turned anything on a lathe in years, but it’s almost like riding a bike—it comes back quickly. So for part of today and probably all of tomorrow I will be reducing four pieces of relatively straight saplings into table legs.

I also partially repaired my broken favorite mug. Tomorrow will tell if the repair will last.

4 comments:

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

This is looking good. I'm enjoying watching you make it.

Tom Hurley said...

Thanks. It’s fun.

Pete S. said...

Is that the blade of a folding knife that is the cutting tool?

Tom Hurley said...

That’s called the parting-off tool, I think. It is one of four chisel-type tools used on the legs.