Thursday, October 15

Table getting close to finished

In order to use the corner brackets I had bought for the table, I had to lengthen the screws that came with them. They have threads for wood at one end, and for a machine nut at the other. Shown between the clamps are three of the eight screws I had to modify. Since I couldn’t find my screw stretcher (joke), I had to cut some threaded portions off some other screws and weld them on.

Here is one of the corner brackets. A longer screw made it possible to use them after all. I’ll have to use a metal-cutting wheel to trim off some excess bracket metal that would be visible below the skirt.

Here the skirts and legs are put together with the corner brackets. It is a very sturdy assembly. To see how square it was, I measured diagonally from leg to leg, and found that it was off by about 1/8" (3 mm), which surprised me considering that it isn’t even “squared up” yet.

For fun, I put the top on the assembly to see how it looks. So far, so good. More sanding, staining, and other finishing needs to be done. The weather is good for a few days, but the humidity is awful. I don’t know how the finishing will go if things can’t dry. There are so many little flying insects who seem to love landing on wet woodworking projects, but at least there is little airborne dust flying around.

No comments: