Saturday, January 19

Clarence is back for more


Tonight as I was preparing to wash dinner's dishes, I noticed a moth outside the kitchen window. I captured it and tossed it near the plant where Clarence was waiting for some action, having finally digested that last behemoth (no pun intended) I gave him. Whoa! Out he leapt and practically inhaled the moth! I had always seen frogs going through a lot of work swallowing their prey, what with the gulping and the eyes pushing down into their heads to help push the food down and that pawing action by the front feet. But Clarence eats like a dog—grab and bolt and that's it. He turned to me as if to say, "Well?" So I went outside and caught another moth near the porch light, brought it in and Blammo! Gulp! Burp!

I heard recently that roughly 150 species of frogs have simply disappeared in the last 20 years. That's terrible, since amphibians are like canaries in a mine. We could be in deep trouble. So I'm going to do my best to keep ol' Clarence in fine health. Hope I can roust up a wife (or husband in case she's Claire) and introduce them to the part of the fountain that doesn't have any goldfish. Then watch for that glob of goo that will produce another batch of froglets. Maybe they'll make me the godfather to their brood. Not that I need the recognition, but I'll take what I can get, even if it is from a frog.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is one fine looking frog!

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

Hi Pete.

Did you know Dad used to do a similar thing for the bearded dragons in our Margate back yard? He would even freeze grasshoppers in the winter (when the lizards hibernate even though there's NO SNOW here) so he could feed them when they came out starving in the spring.

I like your frog. Nice picture. Happy match making.